Stephenville is a city in and the county seat of Erath County, Texas, United States. As of the 2019 U.S. Census estimate, the city population was 21,247 and is the principal city in the Stephenville Micropolitan Statistical Area 42,698. Founded in 1854, it is home to Tarleton State University. Stephenville is among several communities that call themselves the “Cowboy Capital of the World”. Stephenville is named after John M. Stephen, who settled there in 1854, and donated the land for the townsite laid out by George B. Erath when the county was organized in 1856. In the first two years of its settlement, the townsite was successful; by 1858, the population reached 776. However, the townsite was located in Comanche territory and raids were common.
Also, the hardships of the American Civil War forced citizens to leave. The population declined until 1871, when it grew after Stephenville became an agriculture and livestock center. Coal mining also became important to the area in 1886, and was a major segment of the economy for the following three decades. Stephenville was incorporated in 1889, with the arrival of the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway. In the 1890s, many of the buildings around the town square were built, Tarleton State University opened, and the community’s two newspapers merged to become the Empire-Tribune, which is still in existence. In February 1907, the Stephenville North and South Texas Railway was chartered by Stephenville and Hamilton business interests.
information provided by wikipedia.org