Groves is a city in Jefferson County, Texas, United States. The population was 16,144 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Beaumont–Port Arthur Metropolitan Statistical Area. In 1886, Sam Courville moved his family from a Sabine Lake settlement in Port Arthur to a new home on 640 acres (2.6 km2) of land. It was in that same general area around 1911 that John Warne Gates purchased additional tracts of land. The land was conveyed to the Griffing brothers of Port Arthur in 1916, and three years later Griffing Brothers Nursery employee Wiley Choate supervised the planting of several thousand pecan trees on a 385-acre (1.56 km2) tract.
In 1921, the Port Arthur Land Development Company took control of the site and divided the land into a residential subdivision known as “Pecan Grove”. The name was later changed to “Groves”, after development representative and pioneer Port Arthurian Asa Groves.A post office was established in 1927 and a school opened in 1929. A public library opened the following year. The community rapidly developed as a stop on the Kansas City Southern Railway. The Atlantic Refinery began operating in 1936. In 1940, a public water system was installed in the community. Several civic organizations, including the Lions Club, Chamber of Commerce, and Volunteer Fire Department, were formed during the 1940s.
information provided by wikipedia.org