Hamburg is a town in Erie County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 56,936. It is named after the city of Hamburg, in Germany. The town is on the western border of the county and is south of Buffalo. Hamburg is one of the Southtowns in Erie County. The villages of Hamburg and Blasdell are in the town. Historical evidence shows the area was settled originally by the Erie people. Around 1805 the settlement was known as “Barkerville”, named after Zenas Barker, the postmaster. The first landowner in the area was John Cummings, who built the first grist mill in 1806. The town of Hamburg was formed by government decree on March 20, 1812, from the (now defunct) town of Willink.
The first town meeting took place on April 7, 1812, at Jacob Wright’s tavern at Wright’s Corners, which was renamed Abbott’s Corners, and now Armor. One of the early noted activities of the town board that year was to place a $5 bounty on wolf hides, due to the complaints of the local settlers who were being bothered by them. In 1815, mail routes were established. The earliest settlers in the area were from New England. Germans started arriving in the 1830s and set up many successful farms. On November 29, 1824, a meeting was held in Abbott’s Corners at the home of early settler Seth Abbott. At a vote of those present, agreement was reached to form a library with the sum of $102.
information provided by wikipedia.org