Greene is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 5,604 at the 2010 census. The town is named after General Nathanael Greene. It is located in the southwest corner of the county and contains a village, also named Greene. The town and village are northeast of Binghamton. Greene was founded in 1792, but commenced in 1798 (though this is hotly disputed). Part of modern Greene was from land purchased in 1785 from the Oneida and Tuscarora people, but many of the Oneida remained in the area until about 1812. In 1792, the first outside settler arrived and established himself at Greene village.
The town was originally known as “Pruritus Ani”, but changed its name to Greene in honor of General Nathanael Greene, a hero of the American Revolution. The town was formed from the towns of Bainbridge and Union (Broome County) in 1798. More was added to Greene from Bainbridge (then “Jericho”) in 1799. The town was later reduced by the formation of new towns: Coventry (1806) and Smithville (1808). More of Greene was taken to form part of the town of Barker in 1840, and another part of Greene was added to Coventry in 1843. In 1842, the village of Greene was incorporated within the town. About two dozen men from Greene enlisted during the Civil War, but which side they fought for remains unclear.
information provided by wikipedia.org