Gloversville is a city in the Mohawk Valley region of Upstate New York, and the most populous city in Fulton County. Gloversville was once the hub of the United States’ glovemaking industry, with over two hundred manufacturers in Gloversville and the adjacent city of Johnstown. In 2010, Gloversville had a population of 15,665. In 2019, the U.S. Census Bureau‘s estimates program calculated that the city’s population was 14,747.Settlers came to the Gloversville area as early as 1752.The region, historically known as “Kingsborough”, was acquired by Sir William Johnson, 1st Baronet, who established tremendous influence with the Native Americans of the area, which translated into control of the Mohawk Valley region.
It was due to Johnson that the Six Nations Iroquois Confederacy remained allied with English during the French and Indian War. In reward, Johnson was granted the Kingsborough Tract, a large parcel of land which was settled by TScottish Highlanders. The Highlanders were so loyal to Johnson that when he died in 1774, they followed his son to Canada.In 1752, Arent Stevens purchased land in the area. Puritans from New England settled there at the end of the 18th century, utilizing the houses and cleared land that had been left behind when the Highlanders immigrated. By 1803, according to Elisha Yale, the population of Kingsborough consisted of “233 families and about 1,400 souls. Of the families, 191 are of English descent, twenty three Scotch, fourteen Dutch and five Irish.”
information provided by wikipedia.org