Glenville is a town in Schenectady County, New York, United States. It was incorporated in 1821. As of the 2010 census, the town population was 29,480.Including the village of Scotia, the town of Glenville encompasses the part of Schenectady County north of the Mohawk River. Glenville is named after Alexander Lindsay Glen. Glen, who was a native of Scotland, acquired a large tract of land in the area in the 1650s. He named his manor at Scotia after his native country.The Seeley Farmhouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, the Swart House and Tavern in 2007 and the Bishop Family Lustron House was listed the following year. The Glenville District No. 5 Schoolhouse was listed in 2013.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 50.7 square miles (131.3 km2), of which 49.2 square miles (127.4 km2) is land and 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), or 2.94%, is water.At the 2000 census, there were 28,183 people, 11,150 households, and 7,827 families living in the town. The population density was 565.0 people per square mile (218.2/km2). There were 11,582 housing units at an average density of 232.2 per square mile (89.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.35% White, 0.72% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.89% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.14% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.20% of the population.
information provided by wikipedia.org