Glens Falls is a city in Warren County, New York, United States and is the central city of the Glens Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 14,700 at the 2010 census. The name was given by Colonel Johannes Glen, the falls referring to a large waterfall in the Hudson River at the southern end of the city.Glens Falls is a city in the southeast corner of Warren County, surrounded by the town of Queensbury to the north, east, and west, and by the Hudson River and Saratoga County to the south. Glens Falls is known as “Hometown U.S.A.”, a title Look Magazine gave it in 1944. The city has also referred to itself as the “Empire City.”
As a halfway point between Fort Edward and Fort William Henry, the falls was the site of several battles during the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. The then-hamlet was mostly destroyed by fire twice during the latter conflict, forcing the Quakers to abandon the settlement until the war ended in 1783. Fire also ravaged the village in 1864, 1884, and 1902.The area was originally called Chepontuc (Iroquois; “difficult place to get around”), also referred to as the “Great Carrying Place,” but was renamed “The Corners” by European-American settlers. In 1766 it was renamed Wing’s Falls for Abraham Wing – the leader of the group of Quakers who established the permanent settlement – and for the falls on the Hudson River.
information provided by wikipedia.org