Geddes is a town in Onondaga County, New York, United States. The population was 17,118 at the 2010 census. The Town of Geddes is west of the neighborhood of Far Westside of Syracuse. The town is a western suburb of Syracuse. The town was formed from the Town of Salina in 1848. It is named after James Geddes, a prominent early settler who settled at the head of Onondaga Lake in 1794 and developed the salt industry. There also was an Old Geddes Village which included part of the west side of Syracuse and Tipperary Hill, the village square being located near St. Mark’s Circle. The village of Geddes (incorporated in 1832 and 1837) was annexed to the City of Syracuse on May 20, 1886 with a population of nearly 7,000.
Today the town of Geddes still includes the Village of Solvay, which operates independently, and the hamlets of Westvale and Lakeland. Geddes is the youngest town in Onondaga County. Geddes was formed from Salina on March 18, 1848. It lies upon the west bank of Onondaga Lake with level surface in the north and rolling hills in the south. In the southwest of the town, are several isolated, rounded drift hills (or knolls). The Seneca River forms the north border and Onondaga Creek formed part of the eastern boundary. Nine Mile Creek flows east through the center of town.The soil is clay and sandy loam. In 1859, the town contained two churches, both Protestant, an Episcopalian and Methodist Episcopalian.
information provided by wikipedia.org