Franklinville is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. The population was 2,990 at the 2010 census.Franklinville is an interior town, located in the northeast quadrant of the county. Franklinville is also the name of a village in the town. The town was first settled around 1806 by Joseph McCluer and known then as McCluer Settlement. The Town of Hebe was established in 1812 from the town of Olean, at the time the only town in the county, and consisted of the entire northern half of the county. The size of Hebe (later dubbed “Ischua,” not to be confused with the current town of the same name to the south) was reduced by the formation of new towns in the county: Perry (the northwest quadrant, 1814), Ellicottville, Freedom and Yorkshire (1820), and Farmersville (1821).
In 1824, the town was dubbed Franklinville after the recently deceased William Temple Franklin, an agent with the Holland Land Company in his later years and the grandson of Benjamin Franklin. Lyndon was split off from Franklinville in 1829. Franklinville is located at 42°18′20″N 078°30′00″W (42.3054311, -78.4998726) and its elevation is 1,991 feet (607 m).According to the 2010 United States Census, the town has a total area of 51.985 square miles (134.64 km2), of which 51.812 square miles (134.19 km2) is land and 0.173 square miles (0.45 km2) is water.New York State Route 16 and New York State Route 98 are important (basically north-south) highways in the town. New York State Route 242 cuts across the northwest corner of the town.
information provided by wikipedia.org