Evans is a town in Erie County, New York, United States. The population was 16,356 at the 2010 census. The town derives its name from David E. Evans, an agent of the Holland Land Company and nephew of land agent Joseph Ellicott. The Town of Evans is located approximately 20 miles southwest of the Buffalo metropolitan area, and is considered a rural community with the benefit of 12 miles of waterfront. The Town is located in geographic proximity to the major trading centers of the Northeast and is a bi-national gateway for commerce due to our region’s border location with Canada. The town of Evans was established in 1821 from part of the town of Eden. The first settler arrived around 1804, but there was no permanent settlement until 1808.
David Evans was named the local agent of the Holland Land Company in 1827. He was known for his humane management of the company business in relation to the impoverished settlers. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 41.56 square miles (107.64 km2), of which 41.53 square miles (107.56 km2) is land and 0.031 square miles (0.08 km2), or 0.08%, is water.The New York State Thruway (Interstate 90), US 20 (Southwestern Boulevard), and NY 5 (Erie Road) pass through the town. The north town line is defined by Eighteen Mile Creek, which is well known for excellent fossil formations. Lake Erie defines the west town line.
information provided by wikipedia.org