East Greenbush is a town in Rensselaer County, New York, United States. It is a suburb of Albany, New York. The population was 16,473 at the 2010 census. The word Greenbush is derived from the Dutch het groen bosch, referring to the pine woods that originally covered the land. The first settlement of the land now known as East Greenbush was made by tenants under patroon Kiliaen van Rensselaer circa 1630. The town was established in 1855 as Clinton, and was renamed in 1858. It is mostly suburban along its major highways and rural in the southwestern and northeastern corners. Interstate 90 traverses the town. It contains the west (or south) end of US Route 4 and the northern terminus of NY Route 9J; as well as US Route 9 and US Route 20.
The latter are concurrent, under the name Columbia Turnpike, which is often referred to by the locals as “9 and 20.” East Greenbush, at the time part ofthe Town of Greenbush, was part of the Manor of Rensselaerswyck, and then of Albany County, prior to the creation of Rensselaer County in 1791. The town of Clinton was established on February 23, 1855 from the town of Greenbush at the same time as the town of North Greenbush. Three years later, on April 14, 1858, the town name was changed to East Greenbush by New York State Laws of 1858, Chapter 194. Early European settlement along the Hudson River shoreline occurred around 1628-1629 and in 1669 a fort was built on Papscanee Island.
information provided by wikipedia.org