Chatham is a town in Columbia County, New York, United States. The population was 4,128 at the 2010 census.The town has a village also called Chatham on its south town line. The town is at the north border of Columbia County. The early settlers were Dutch, but later Quakers and New Englanders arrived. The town of Chatham was formed from the towns of Canaan and Kinderhook in 1795. Contradictory of its current condition or image, Chatham was an industrial center of multiple inter-state rail lines in the early 1900s, including the junction of the Boston and Albany Railroad for connections east and west, the Rutland Railroad for connections to Vermont to the north, and the New York Central‘s Harlem Line for connections to New York City.
In 1887 a terminal designed by Henry Hobson Richardson was constructed. Amtrak service on the Lake Shore Limited passes through, east-west, but does not stop. In later years Amtrak has planned to build a rail station in Chatham. The Blinn-Pulver Farmhouse, Melius-Bentley House, Peck House, Riders Mills Historic District, Silvernail Homestead, Simons General Store, Spengler Bridge, St. John’s Lutheran Church, James G. Van Valkenburgh House, and John S. Williams House and Farm are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 53.6 square miles (138.7 km2), of which 53.2 square miles (137.9 km2) is land and 0.31 square miles (0.8 km2), or 0.59%, is water.
information provided by wikipedia.org