Bedford is a town in Westchester County, New York, United States. The population was 17,335 at the 2010 census.The town of Bedford is located in the northeastern part of Westchester County and contains the four hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford, Katonah and Bedford Corners. The town of Bedford was founded on December 23, 1680, when 22 Puritans from Stamford, Connecticut, purchased a tract of land three miles square known as the “Hopp Ground” from Chief Katonah and several other Native Americans for coats, blankets, wampum and cloth.Bedford was made a part of Connecticut in 1697 when a patent fixed the boundaries as a six-mile square.
Only when King William III of England issued a royal decree in 1700 settling a boundary dispute did Bedford become part of New York. The town served as the county seat of Westchester County during the American Revolutionary War after the Battle of White Plains, until Bedford was burned by the British in July 1779. British forces led by Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton burned the town leaving only one structure standing in the town. After the Revolution, Bedford was made one of two seats of county government, alternating with White Plains, until 1870. Westchester County’s oldest government building is the Court House in Bedford village, which was built in 1787 and renovated in the 1960s.
information provided by wikipedia.org