Allegany is a village in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. The population was 1,816 at the 2010 census. The village is in the eastern part of the town of Allegany, west of the city of Olean. St. Bonaventure University is south of the village. The village of Allegany was incorporated in 1906. It was formerly known as “Burton” until an unspecified time; there is a bar/hotel in town known as “The Burton”. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.71 square miles (1.85 km2), of which 0.71 square miles (1.83 km2) is land and 0.008 square miles (0.02 km2), or 1.01%, is water. The village is located north of the Allegheny River, and New York State Route 417 passes through the village.
The Southern Tier Expressway (Interstate 86 and New York State Route 17) bypasses the village to the north, with access from Exit 24. As of the census of 2000, there were 1,883 people, 753 households, and 445 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,690.2 people per square mile (1,038.6/km2). There were 833 housing units at an average density of 1,190.1 per square mile (459.5/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 96.55% White, 0.53% Black or African American, 0.21% Native American, 2.02% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.11% from other races, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.
information provided by wikipedia.org