Afton is a village in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 822 at the 2010 census. The village is named after the poem “Sweet Afton” by Scottish poet Robert Burns, referring to the River Afton in Ayrshire, Scotland. The village of Afton is located in the town of Afton and is northeast of Binghamton. The first settlement in the town, around 1786, was near the site of the present village. Ebenezer Landers built a home on the east side of the Susquehanna River. The home was later acquired by Dr. Carlton J. H. Hayes, professor of history at Columbia University and the United States ambassador to Spain during World War II.
Hayes added the Pillard Porticho to the Landers home, and the structure continues to stand and is known as the Jericho Farm today. In 1983, the Main Street Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Afton village is located at the geographic center of the town of Afton at 42°13′45″N 75°31′29″W (42.22918, -75.524781), in southern Chenango County. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), of which 1.5 square miles (4.0 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.2 km2), or 4.57%, is water. The Susquehanna River flows through the village.
information provided by wikipedia.org