Point Pleasant is a borough in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough’s population was 18,392, down from 19,306 in 2000 but still up from 18,177 in 1990.The Borough is a Jersey Shore community situated south of the Manasquan River and north and east of the Beaverdam Creek and its confluence with the Metedeconk River.Point Pleasant was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 21, 1920, from portions of Brick Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 19, 1920. The borough was reincorporated on March 12, 1928. Point Pleasant is distinct from Point Pleasant Beach, which is a separate community.
The borough gets its name from Point Pleasant Beach, which gets its name from its location at the northern end of the Barnegat Peninsula, a long, narrow barrier peninsula that divides the Barnegat Bay from the Atlantic Ocean at the Manasquan Inlet.Around 1500, the area that included the future Point Pleasant was the ceremonial meeting place of the Lenape Native Americans, who called it the “Land of Tall Timber”. In approximately 1665, the first European settlers arrived in the area, mainly fishermen, farmers and boat builders.On February 15, 1850, Governor Daniel Haines and the New Jersey Legislature separated Ocean County from Monmouth County, and created Brick Township, including the Point Pleasant area, which became independent of Brick Township in 1920,
information provided by wikipedia.org