Marlboro Township is a township in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. It is located in the New York Metropolitan Area. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township had a population of 40,191, reflecting an increase of 5,449 (+16.3%) from the 33,423 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 6,707 (+25.1%) from the 26,716 counted in the 1990 Census.Marlboro Township was formed by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 17, 1848, from portions of Freehold Township. The township was named for the marl beds found in the area.While there is some debate on this, the Lenni Lenape Native Americans were the first known organized inhabitants of this area, having settled here about one thousand years ago and forming an agricultural society, occupying small villages that dotted what was to become Marlboro Township.
Their villages were known to be in the Wickatunk and Crawford’s Corner sections of the township.In 1600, the Delaware / Lenape Native American population in the surrounding area may have numbered as many as 20,000. Several wars, at least 14 separate epidemics (yellow fever, small pox, influenza, encephalitis lethargica, etc.) and disastrous over-harvesting of the animal populations reduced their population to around 4,000 by the year 1700. Since the Lenape people, like all Native Americans, had no immunity to European diseases, when the populations contacted the epidemics, they frequently proved fatal.
information provided by wikipedia.org