Haledon (pronounced HALE-dun) is a borough in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough’s population was 8,318, reflecting an increase of 66 (+0.8%) from the 8,252 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 1,301 (+18.7%) from the 6,951 counted in the 1990 Census.Haledon was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 8, 1908, replacing the now-defunct Manchester Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 21, 1908.Haledon developed along the northern side of the industrial city of Paterson, New Jersey.
It was settled by farmers with colonial Dutch heritage including the Van Riper, Berdan, Banta, Post and Zabriskie families. Prior to the Civil War they were joined by the Roe, Leonhard and Stansfield families, who helped establish St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and leading businesses including a general store and the Leonhard Wax Company. The area became a streetcar suburb of Paterson in the years following the Civil War, with the central area known as Haledon, while the area surrounding the large pond along High Mountain Road was called Oldham. The Paterson and Haledon Horse Rail Road Company, formed in 1871, laid trolley tracks from Paterson along the current-day Belmont Avenue,
information provided by wikipedia.org