East Orange is a city in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census the city’s population was 64,270, reflecting a decline of 5,554 (−8.0%) from the 69,824 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 3,728 (−5.1%) from the 73,552 counted in the 1990 Census. The city was the state’s 20th most-populous municipality in 2010, after having been the state’s 14th most-populous municipality in 2000.East Orange had its origins in Connecticut‘s New Haven Colony. In 1666, a group of 30 of New Haven’s families traveled by water to found “a town on the Passayak” River. They arrived on territory now encompassing Newark, the Oranges, and several other municipalities.
The area was situated in the northeast portion of a land grant conveyed by King Charles II of England to his brother James, Duke of York. In 1664, James conveyed the land to two proprietors, Lord John Berkeleyand Sir George Carteret. Since Carteret had been Royal Governor of the Isle of Jersey, the territory became known as “New Jersey.”East Orange was initially a part of the city of Newark, but it was originally known as “Newark Mountains”. On June 7, 1780, the townspeople of Newark Mountains officially voted to adopt the name Orange. At the time, there was a significant number of people in favor of secession from Newark. However, this would not occur until November 27, 1806, when the territory now encompassing all of the Oranges was finally detached.
information provided by wikipedia.org