Northfield is a town in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 4,829 at the 2010 census.European settlers first arrived in Northfield in the early 1700s. Initially Northfield was incorporated as part of Canterbury when that town was established in 1741. At the time it was a frontier town protected by a garrison fort erected on a hill close to Canterbury Center and commanded by Capt. Jeremiah Clough. Tradition has it that the first settlers of the “north fields” of Canterbury came from the scouts from this fort who patrolled the area in the 1740s.The north fields of Canterbury prospered. Farming was the principal industry.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 29.0 square miles (75.1 km2), of which 28.8 sq mi (74.6 km2) is land and 0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2) is water, comprising 0.89% of the town. It is drained by the Merrimack River, primarily by way of the Winnipesaukee River and its tributary Williams Brook. The town is characterized by gently rolling hills, the highest point in town being the summit of Bean Hill at 1,500 feet (460 m) above sea level, near the southern border. Two significant water bodies in Northfield are Sandogardy Pond in the southwest corner of town and Knowles Pond on the east side of town. The village of Northfield is located in the northern part of the town on the south bank of the Winnipesaukee River.
information provided by wikipedia.org