Moultonborough is a town in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 4,044 at the 2010 census. Moultonborough is bounded in large part by Lake Winnipesaukee in the southwest and to a lesser extent by Squam Lake in the northwest corner. The town includes the census-designated place of Suissevale and the community of Lees Mill. The first European settlers were grantees from Hampton, among whom were at least sixteen Moultons, giving the town its name. The first recorded town meeting took place on March 31, 1777, at which Jonathan Moulton was elected town clerk, among other officials elected that day. The town was incorporated on November 27, 1777.
Colonel Moulton (later a brigadier general) was considered to be one of the richest men in the province at the start of the American Revolution. Moultonborough was chartered in 1763 by colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, and at the time was described as being near the “Winnepisseoky Pond”. It was officially incorporated in 1777. Moultonborough is home to the “Castle in the Clouds“, an estate set in the Ossipee Mountains. Thomas Gustave Plant made a fortune manufacturing shoes, bought 6,300 acres (25 km2) and hired the Boston architectural firm of J. Williams Beal & Sons to design “Lucknow”, a stone mansion built between 1913 and 1914. The property, with sweeping views of Lake Winnipesaukee, is a popular tourist attraction.
information provided by wikipedia.org