Hampstead is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 8,523 at the 2010 census. Hampstead, which includes the village of East Hampstead, is home to a portion of the Rockingham Recreational Trail. Once part of Haverhill and Amesbury, Massachusetts, settled in 1640, this town was formed as a result of the 1739 decision fixing the boundary line between Massachusetts and New Hampshire. It was originally known as “Timberlane Parish” because of the heavy growth of native trees. The town would be incorporated in 1749 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, who renamed it after Hampstead, England, the residence of William Pitt, a close friend.
The Hampstead Meetinghouse, constructed circa 1749–1768, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Hampstead was the home of the first honey factory in the United States, in 1816. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 14.0 square miles (36 km2), of which 13.3 sq mi (34 km2) is land and 0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2) is water, comprising 4.93% of the town. Island Pond is in the west, with Angle and Wash ponds in the north. The highest point in Hampstead is greater than 460 feet (140 m) above sea level at the town’s northwestern corner, near the eastern knob of Butman Hill. Hampstead lies mostly within the Merrimack River watershed, though the northern slope of Butman Hill drains into the Piscataqua River (Coastal) watershed.
information provided by wikipedia.org