Greenland is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 3,549 at the 2010 census. It is drained by the Winnicut River and bounded on the northwest by Great Bay. One of the earliest settlements in the state, Greenland was a parish of Portsmouth (then called Strawbery Banke) operating in 1638. Captain Francis Champernowne moved from Strawbery Banke in 1640 and settled in the area of the present Portsmouth Country Club. Although it was originally to be called Canary, he would call his farm “Greenland”. His extensive landholdings included a farm which is now the town of Madbury, named for his ancestral home in Devon, England.
Residents requested and were granted a separate parish in 1706. In c. 1710, Captain Samuel Weeks constructed a substantial brick house, thought to be the oldest brick house in New Hampshire still standing. It survived the 1755 Cape Ann earthquake. Only the 18-inch thick (46 cm) beams that supported the structure were cracked during the quake. The Weeks House is denoted by a New Hampshire historical marker (number 113) along New Hampshire Route 33.Greenland would incorporate in 1721. Greenland annexed parts of Stratham in 1805 and 1847. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 13.3 square miles (34 km2), of which 10.5 sq mi (27 km2) is land and 2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2) is water, comprising 21.07% of the town.
information provided by wikipedia.org