Farmington is a town located in Strafford County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 6,786 at the 2010 census. Farmington is home to Blue Job State Forest, the Tebbetts Hill Reservation, and Baxter Lake.The town center, where 3,885 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as the Farmington census-designated place and is located at the junction of New Hampshire routes 75 and 153. The native Abenaki people called the area Chemung, meaning “canoe place”, and used the three rivers—the Cocheco, the Ela, and the Mad—for transportation. They had a camping ground on Meetinghouse Hill, where they built birch bark canoes.
Otherwise, the river valley was wilderness, through which the native peoples from the north traveled to and from Lake Winnipesaukee on their way to other areas and hunting grounds. As European settlement of New Hampshire began to spread, the area that would become Farmington began as the Northwest Parish of Rochester, which was chartered in 1722. As the native peoples became displaced in the regions, they raided area settlements in and around Dover. To stop the raids, in 1721 the Colonial Assembly in Portsmouth approved construction of a fort at the foot of the lake, with a soldiers’ road built from Dover to supply it. In 1722, Bay Road was surveyed and completed. Along its course the town of Farmington would grow.
information provided by wikipedia.org