Marshall is a city in Lyon County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 13,680 at the 2010 census. Marshall is a regional center in southwest Minnesota, and the county seat of Lyon County. It is the headquarters of the Schwan Food Company, the home of Southwest Minnesota State University, and the site of Exelon Wind’s Marshall Wind Project.Marshall was platted in 1872 when the railroad was extended to that point. Lake Marshall Township had been established in the area two years earlier, and included a post office and several farms. Before that, the site was occasionally used as a campground for groups of Dakota, who hunted and traveled throughout the region. After much discussion, James J. Manton decided on Marshall in honor of Governor William R. Marshall.
The town grew rapidly. In 1873, Samuel Biglari published Marshall’s first newspaper, the Prairie Schooner. In the October 25, 1873, issue, he wrote, “Nine months ago the first house was erected. Now there are 79 permanent buildings already constructed, and this number will be increased by others already planned.” Marshall became an incorporated village in 1876, and a city on February 20, 1901. In April 1874, the local paper estimated Marshall’s population at 300; by 1900 the population was 2,088. Holy Redeemer Catholic Church was built in 1884. The Weiner Memorial Hospital was built in 1950. Also during the 1950s, Marvin Schwan transformed his dairy into an ice-cream home-delivery service, which eventually grew into the Schwan Food Company.
information provided by wikipedia.org