Whitehall is a city in Muskegon County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,706 at the 2010 census. The city is located in the southwest corner of Whitehall Township. Montague is its neighbor. It is located on White Lake (actually the mouth of the White River). Whitehall’s recorded history began circa 1859 when Charles Mears, a noted lumber baron to the area, platted the village along with Giles B. Slocum, naming it Mears. The population continued to grow due to its strategic location for floating and distributing lumber. In 1862, it was renamed Whitehall and incorporated as the Village of Whitehall in 1867. It later was incorporated as a city in 1942.
The town is located about 5 miles (8.0 km) from Lake Michigan. White Lake is now connected to Lake Michigan by a dredged canal. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.79 square miles (9.82 km2), of which 3.12 square miles (8.08 km2) is land and 0.67 square miles (1.74 km2) is water.White River runs between the cities of Whitehall and Montague. The White River is nearly twenty-four miles in length and passes through White Lake before emptying into Lake Michigan. In 1675, Father Pere Marquette stopped in the area and learned that the Native Americans called the stream “Wabish-Sippe,” meaning the river with white clay in the water, which gave rise to the names of White River and White Lake.
information provided by wikipedia.org