Waterford Township is a charter township in the geographic center of Oakland County, Michigan, United States. In 2012, the population of Waterford Township was 72,166.Lewis Cass, the third governor of Michigan Territory, established the boundaries of Oakland County in 1819. Waterford Township was organized in 1834.In 1818, Oliver Williams selected land in Oakland County which he purchased for two dollars an acre. Archibald Phillips and Alpheus Williams purchased 161.40 acres (653,200 m2) in what later became Waterford Village. In 1818, Oliver Williams and his family established the first farm settlement in the county on the banks of Silver Lake.
In 1819, Alpheus Williams and Archibald Phillips continued on to where the Clinton River crossed the old Saginaw Trail (now known as Dixie Highway). They settled at the site of the present Waterford Village. Here the first house of Waterford Village was built by Alpheus Williams on the north bank of the river. Archibald Phillips built his home across from the south corner where Andersonville Road meets Dixie Highway. Williams and Phillips also built the first dam where the Clinton River crossed the Saginaw Trail and erected the first sawmill.The township was named Waterford because of the vast number of lakes covering the township.
information provided by wikipedia.org