Van Buren Charter Township, officially the Charter Township of Van Buren, is a charter township of Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 28,821 at the 2010 census.Van Buren Charter Township surrounds the city of Belleville, but the two are administered autonomously. Belleville Lake is a principal geographic feature, and the township is also home to Willow Run Airport, which extends into neightboring Ypsilanti Township. In 1800, settler Henry Snow came and settled on what is now the border with Ypsilanti Township, Washtenaw County which was original called Snow’s Landing.A settlement of the Huron River received a post office on May 7, 1834 with the name of West Huron and postmaster Scott Vining.
The township was formed by the State in 1835 and was soon renamed for Martin Van Buren, then vice president of the US. The post office name was also changed. On November 14, 1838, The Van Buren post office was move to Rawsonville and assumed that name.On October 25, 1895, the Rawsonville post office was closed only to reopen on November 20, 1895 only to close again on February 28, 1902. In 1925, the French Landing Dam and Powerhouse was put in place on the Huron River, placing most of the Rawsonville village under water of the new Belleville Lake. The only visual sign that a village was here at one time is the historical marker in front of the McDonald’s on Rawsonville Road and across from Grove Road.
information provided by wikipedia.org