Otsego is a city in Allegan County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 3,956 at the 2010 census. The city is within Otsego Township, but is administratively autonomous. Otsego is situated on M-89 about three miles (5 km) west of Plainwell and US 131. It is about nine miles (14 km) southeast of Allegan and the Kalamazoo River flows east to west through the city. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.13 square miles (5.52 km2), of which 2.07 square miles (5.36 km2) is land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2) is water.Otsego was established in 1831, called Pine Creek by its initial settlers: Giles Scott and Hull Sherwood.
A post office was established in 1832 under the name of Allegan, the name being changed to Otsego in 1835 with the organization of Allegan County, spearheaded by Otsego resident Dr. Samuel Foster. 1833 brought a school to the new town, and a hotel – the Tompkins House – followed in the 1860s. The 1880s saw some big advances for Otsego. In 1883, Otsego High School held its first commencement ceremony, graduating three students; A home-delivery milk route was started up in 1885; and 1886 brought the establishment of the volunteer fire department still in operation today, but no longer using horse-drawn water-wagons. The decade closes out with the formation of the city’s Republican Club in 1888.
information provided by wikipedia.org