Howell is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is the largest city and county seat of Livingston County. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 9,489. The city is mostly surrounded by Howell Township, but the two are administered autonomously. Howell is part of the South Lyon–Howell–Brighton Urban Area, which is an extension of the larger Detroit–Warren–Dearborn (Metro Detroit) Metropolitan Statistical Area. January 1836 saw the establishment of the first post office. Flavius J. B. Crane was postmaster and the post office was in the Eagle Tavern. In March of this same year, there was a mail route started between Howell and the village of Kensington, and west to Grand Rapids.
The City of Howell is the county seat of Livingston County. On 24 March 1836, the legislature passed an act organizing Livingston County and Howell was slated to become the county seat. This claim was vigorously opposed by a group from Brighton and was wholly relinquished by them until the county buildings were erected 12 years later. Howell at once assumed the dignity of the county seat. The town was originally called Livingston Center and incorporated on 14 March 1863. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has an area of 4.95 square miles (12.82 km2), of which 4.75 square miles (12.30 km2) is land and 0.20 square miles (0.52 km2) is water.
information provided by wikipedia.org