Grosse Pointe Park is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 11,555 at the 2010 census. Bordering on Detroit with frontage on southern Lake Saint Clair, it is the westernmost of the noted Grosse Pointe suburbs, with the oldest overall housing stock of the five cities. Grosse Pointe Park is 6 miles (9.7 km) east of downtown Detroit and thus is home to many who commute to the city on a daily basis. The area is often referred to simply as ‘GPP’ or “The Park”. Before incorporation as a city, the area that would become the city of Grosse Pointe Park was incorporated as the Village of Fairview, which spanned Bewick Street in the west to Cadieux Road in the east in Grosse Pointe Township.
The city of Detroit annexed part of the village in the township from Bewick Street to Alter Road in 1907. Fearing further annexation, the part of the village east of Alter Road incorporated as the Village of Grosse Pointe Park later that year. Seeking further annexation protection from Detroit and independence from its township, the village reincorporated as a city in 1950. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.71 square miles (9.61 km2), of which 2.17 square miles (5.62 km2) is land and 1.54 square miles (3.99 km2) is water. The water is part of Lake St. Clair. Grosse Pointe Park has about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) of borders with Detroit, with one border between Alter Road and Wayburn to the southwest, and another along Mack Avenue to the northwest;
information provided by wikipedia.org