Gladwin is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,933 at the 2010 census. As of 2018, the population was estimated at 2,887. It is the county seat of Gladwin County. The city is at the southwest corner of Gladwin Township, but is politically independent. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.91 square miles (7.54 km2), of which 2.89 square miles (7.49 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2) is water.Gladwin county is named for Henry Gladwin, a British military commander at Detroit during Pontiac’s War. The county was named in 1831 and organized in 1875. Gladwin had its beginnings in 1875 during the Michigan lumber boom. Situated on the Cedar River, the city was named Cedar until it was discovered that another Michigan town shared the same name.
Thereafter, the city was named after the county. The first church in Gladwin was a Methodist church completed on March 31, 1878. In the Fall of 1878, the first schoolhouse was built by Isaac Hanna, later being replaced by a four-room schoolhouse in 1883. Gladwin was incorporated as a village in 1885.As of the census of 2010, there were 2,933 people, 1,261 households, and 680 families living in the city. The population density was 1,014.9 inhabitants per square mile (391.9/km2). There were 1,421 housing units at an average density of 491.7 per square mile (189.8/km2).
information provided by wikipedia.org