Gladstone is a city in Delta County in the U.S. state of Michigan. First settled in 1877, Gladstone’s original name was Minnewasca. The population was 4,973 at the 2010 census. U.S. Highways 2 and 41 run concurrently through the city, connecting with Escanaba, nine miles (14 km) to the south. US 41 runs north to Marquette and US 2 runs east to Manistique and St. Ignace. M-35 runs northwest 52 miles (84 km) to Gwinn and merges with US 2/US 41 south to Escanaba. Throughout the early 19th century, the area where Gladstone exists was largely uninhabited other than Ojibwe hunters in the area or the occasional Euro-American trapper or fisherman.
Gladstone was first settled in 1859 when the Hamilton Corporation of Fayette began using it as a shipping point for selling and transporting of their iron ore.The town was originally named Minnewasca by the Soo Line Railroad, the Ojibwa name meaning “white water.” When the name was filed with the county and Secretary of State in Lansing, Senator W. D. Washburn, who had an interest in building the railroad, persuaded officials to change the name to Gladstone in honor of British premier, William Evert Gladstone.Earliest development was on Saunders Point, so named for Capt. Nate Saunders who headquartered there when fishing at various points along the bay, was the location for the initial build-up of Gladstone.
information provided by wikipedia.org