Gerrish Township is a civil township of Roscommon County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,993 at the 2010 census. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 37.23 square miles (96.43 km2), of which 27.60 square miles (71.48 km2) is land and 9.63 square miles (24.94 km2) (25.87%) is water.Gerrish Township has a long coastline and mostly surrounds Higgins Lake and the much smaller Marl Lake, as well as most of the boundaries of South Higgins Lake State Park. The Cut River begins at Higgins Lake within Gerrish Township and flows south through Markey Township to Houghton Lake.
The location started as the Gerrish Logging Camp. On April 5, 1880, at the camp, area residents met and elected officers for their newly formed township. The first Township Supervisor was James Watson. As originally platted, the township included present-day Gerrish, Lyon, and Markey townships. In 1920, the boundary line was reestablished to its present lines. The second permanent town hall was built in 1970. As of the census of 2000, there were 3,072 people, 1,343 households, and 957 families residing in the township. The population density was 111.2 per square mile (42.9/km2). There were 3,366 housing units at an average density of 121.8 per square mile (47.0/km2).
information provided by wikipedia.org