The Charter Township of Genesee, or Genesee Township, is a charter township of Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. In the Public Land Survey System, the township is survey area township 8 north, range 7 east. The population was 21,581 at the 2010 census, down from 24,125 at the 2000 census. The Indians had no settlement in the area but in the northwest corner of section 11 established a grave yard. The grave yard was found when the railroad came through.On March 9, 1833, Grand Blanc Township was organized as a multi-survey township areas including the current Genesee Township. The township earliest settlers, Luman Beach and Addison Stewart, came in 1833 in the area of Geneseeville.
In September 1835, Sherman Stanley from Mount Morris, New York, started the Stanley settlement at the corners of sections 8, 9, 16, and 17 (now the intersection of Bray and Stanley Roads). In additional, several other families from that same city joined him there by 1838. A lumber mill was built with a dam in 1834 on the Kearsley Creek 1650 feet from the Flint River. This was followed by a second and third mills on Kearlsey in 1836 and 1837.At Geneseeville, a forth mill was built on the Flint River in Geneseeville at the west side of section 11. Lot Clark and Stephen Warren, the mill builders, also got a charter granting them to build a dam for the mill. Later owners also build a companion grist mill in 1847.
information provided by wikipedia.org