Gaines is a village in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 380 at the 2010 census. The village is within Gaines Township. The Village of Gaines area did not see a settler until 1856. The first passenger train passed through the future village site on July 4, 1856 and a post office, Gaines Station, was established that same year. In 1859, the village was platted. The Grand Trunk Western Railroad depot, built in 1884. The Village of Gaines was incorporated in 1875.The Gaines Train Station saw its last passengers boarded and disembarked in 1957. In the 1970s, a business occupied the building. After setting vacant for years, the S.O.S. – Save Our Station group of Gaines residents organized in 1992 to restore the station.
SOS later incorporated as the nonprofit Gaines Station Incorporated. After $100,000 in repairs in 1997, the station was turned over to the village. The station was then began its use as the smallest branch of he Genesee District Library. On July 15, 2017, a Michigan Historical Marker was unveiled for the station.In August 2016, the village’s lone police officer retired. By March 9, 2017, the village council formally dissolved the police department and Gaines Township purchased the police car.The village was incorporated under the General Law Village Act provisions making its government form a weak mayor-council. The governing body is the Village Council which comprises the Village President, its presiding officer, and 6 trustees.
information provided by wikipedia.org