Birch Run is a village in Saginaw County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 1,555 at the 2010 census. The village is located within Birch Run Township. Birch Run was the home of the Great Lakes Storm, a defunct member of the Continental Basketball Association. The Storm played in the Birch Run Expo Center from 2001 until they disbanded in 2005. Birch Run was established in 1852 as a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad. It was given a post office in 1954. In 1954, it was incorporated as a village. Birch Run was founded as a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad by John Moore, its first postmaster, in 1852. It was named after its creek, which runs through a large birch area.
In 1863, the town was renamed Deer Lick and remained so until 1868 when it reverted to Birch Run. Birch Run was incorporated as a village in 1955Birch Run Premium Outlets, opened in 1986, is the largest outlet mall in the Midwest. As of November, 2017, the mall has 108 stores and 3 restaurants on property.The Birch Run Area School District serves the village of Birch Run, Birch Run Township and Taymouth Township. Birch Run’s athletic teams are known as the Panthers. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.91 square miles (4.95 km2), of which 1.89 square miles (4.90 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2) is water.
information provided by wikipedia.org