Belding is a city in Ionia County in the U.S. state of Michigan, completely surrounded by Otisco Township, Michigan. The population was 5,757 at the 2010 census. In 1838, six years before John Green came to the area that later would bear his name, Levi Broas, Belding’s first settler, arrived in the area. The community first was known as Broas Rapids, later Patterson Mills and even, during logging days, as Hog Wallow. The name Belding was chosen in 1871 to honor the Belding family.According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.90 square miles (12.69 km2), of which, 4.72 square miles (12.22 km2) of it is land and 0.18 square miles (0.47 km2) is water.
The Belding Museum is located in the historic Belrockton at 108 Hanover Street. The Bel, as it is known by locals, is a designated Michigan Historical Site. Built in 1906, the Belrockton is the last remaining boarding house of the three provided by the Belding Brothers and Company for its single female workers. A major silk manufacturer during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the company employed hundreds of young women and earned Belding the title of “Silk City of the World”. Providing accommodations for one hundred residents and staff, the Belrockton Dormitory, a Classical Revival-inspired building, was erected at a cost of thirty thousand dollars.
information provided by wikipedia.org