Auburn Hills is a city in Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 21,412 at the 2010 census.Before incorporating as a city in 1983, the area was part of the now-defunct Pontiac Township, and Auburn Hills is now one of the wealthiest cities in the state. It is home to the U.S. headquarters of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Oakland University. In 1908, automobile pioneer John Dodge bought a farmhouse 3 miles (4.8 km) northeast of Auburn Heights to use as his country retreat. His oldest child, Winifred Dodge, married real estate baron Wesson Seyburn, who built his own country retreat 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of Auburn Heights.
The estate included hunting land, dog kennels, a swimming pool, horse stables, and a 5,000-square-foot (460 m2) Colonial Revival house. Pontiac Township purchased the estate in 1976, and adapted the buildings for government use. Today, it is known as the Auburn Hills Civic Center. The first use of the name “Auburn Hills,” in 1964, was by Oakland Community College. They named their campus (a former Nike missile base) at Featherstone and Squirrel roads for the town and the hilly terrain in the area. Besides Oakland Community College, three other colleges, Oakland University, Baker College, and Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School have campuses partially within the city limits.
information provided by wikipedia.org