Almont is a village in Almont Township, Lapeer County, Michigan. Its population was 2,674 at the 2010 census. Almont was first settled in 1828 by James Deneen. It received a post office in 1835 named Bristol, for Oliver Bristol, the second permanent settler. The village was platted as Newburg in 1836, and renamed Almont in 1846. According to HildaMae Bowman’s “Almont, The Tale of Then and Now,” Almont’s name was changed in 1845 to honor the Mexican general, Juan Almonte.Almont is a home rule village with a manager-council form of government. Per its charter the village charter provides for seven councilors elected.
Four councilors are up for election every two years, with the top three vote-getters serve three terms while the fourth highest serves two year terms. The president and president pro temp are selected from its members by the council. A village manager is appointed by the council.The village is served by specialized governmental units, the Almont Community Schools and the Almont District Library. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.42 square miles (3.68 km2), all land. The village center of Almont is located at the intersection of M-53 (also known as Van Dyke) and St. Clair Street. To the east, St. Clair is known as Almont Road, and to the west it is known as General Squire Road.
information provided by wikipedia.org