Avon is a town in Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 4,356 at the 2010 census.Avon separated from Stoughton in 1888. The first settler in Avon was Moses Curtis (c. 1720) a blacksmith from Braintree, Ma. Avon’s story begins deep in the forest of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, in the territory of the ancient town of Dorchester. In 1630 the Indian chief Chicataubut, in return for a sum of money, gave the English the right to settle Dorchester, south to the top of Blue Hill. After the chief’s death, his brother Kitchamakin extended the boundary line farther southward, all the way to the Plymouth Colony line. This “New Grant” as it was called, gave the town of Dorchester title over 40,000 acres, making it the largest town in New England.
In 1726 Dorchester’s South Precinct, holding the present-day towns of Stoughton, Avon, Sharon, Canton, and Foxborough, as well as parts of Wrenthham (Plainville) and Dedham, was set aside and incorporated under the name Stoughton. Its neighbor to the east, also resting on the Plymouth Colony line, was the town of Braintree, which at the time included present-day Quincy, Holbrook, and Randolph. The road through the southeasternmost corner of “Old Stoughton” was little more than a cart trail when Moses Curtis arrived from Braintree in 1720. Known simply as the “Old Beaten Path”, it arched its back in a southwesterly direction after crossing the present-day Randolph line, and then gradually turned southeasterly as it approached the Bay Colony line, about two miles away. What attracted Curtis to this location is unknown, but it is fair to say that he had chosen one of the most isolated spots possible for settlement.
information provided by wikipedia.org