Lawrence is a city in Marion County, Indiana, United States. It is one of four “excluded cities” in Marion County. The city is home to Fort Benjamin Harrison within Fort Harrison State Park. The population was 46,001 at the 2010 census. The city is on the northeast side of Indianapolis and is currently growing at twice the rate of the rest of Indiana.The municipality was platted in 1849 under the name Lanesville but other names were tried because there was already another Lanesville in Indiana. The name Jamestown, in honor of the town’s founder James White, was used for a while, but in 1866 the Marion County Commissioners approved the name Lawrence, which is also the name of the township in which it is located.
Lawrence was named after the naval hero of the War of 1812, Captain James LawrenceIn 1969, Indianapolis and Marion County adopted a unified government structure known as Unigov. Lawrence is one of four “excluded cities” and therefore retains its own municipal government. Its citizens vote not only for the mayor and council of Lawrence, but also for the mayor of Indianapolis and representatives on the Indianapolis City-County Council.Lawrence is located at 39°51′46″N 85°59′39″W (39.862739, −85.994264).According to the 2010 census, Lawrence has a total area of 20.24 square miles (52.42 km2), of which 20.13 square miles (52.14 km2) (or 99.46%) is land and 0.11 square miles (0.28 km2) (or 0.54%) is water.
information provided by wikipedia.org