Auburn is a city in DeKalb County, Indiana, United States. The population was 12,731 at the 2010 census. Founded in 1836 by Wesley Park (1811–1868), the city is the county seat of DeKalb County. Auburn is also known as Home of the Classics. Auburn’s site on Cedar Creek was chosen by Wesley Park and John Badlam Howe at the intersection of two major trails, Goshen-Defiance Road and Coldwater Road, and next to the land of John Houlton. The name for the community likely came from “The Deserted Village” by Oliver Goldsmith, that begins “Sweet Auburn! Loveliest village of the plain.”The plat of the Village of Auburn is dated April 21, 1836, but it was held by Howe and not recorded until March 12, 1879.
John Drury purchased the first lot (Lot 73) for $25.00 on September 5, 1837. The first store was built at Park’s corners by Thomas Freeman, applying for a license on March 5, 1838, and bringing supplies by horseback from Fort Wayne. Daniel Altenburg, Levi Walsworth, the Sherlock family, Samuel Sprott, David Weave, David Shoemaker, Henry Curtis, Lyman Childsey, James Cosper, and David Cosper were early residents. A post office was established in 1839. In 1841, malaria ran through the town, and in 1843 a terrible storm wreaked havoc on cabins and crops. The Church of God was built by the Presbyterians in 1846. The Village of Auburn was incorporated in 1849, divided into wards, and governed under a town board and constable.
information provided by wikipedia.org