Shorewood is a village in Troy Township, Will County, Illinois, United States. The population was 7,686 at the 2000 census, and estimated to be 15,615 as of 2010.Shorewood began as a small fishing and resort community. Albert H. Bruning purchased farmland from Richard and Anna Meyer in 1926. He subdivided the land and sold small lots along the DuPage River for summer cottages. Joliet and Chicago residents used the cottages as weekend retreats. Hammel Woods and the DuPage River were used for fishing, swimming and picnics. The Village of Shorewood was previously known as Troy up until November 27, 1957 when the town was officially incorporated.
The name West Troy was originally suggested by the first settler, Horace Haff, after he migrated there around 1830 from Troy, New York. Early Troy history mentions the construction of a sawmill by Jedidiah Wooley, a grist mill by William Grinton, a McGee knitting mill, and the McEvoy sheep farms. The Shorewood Beach Improvement Association first considered incorporation on August 6, 1931. This association’s goals were to manage, control, and regulate the area as well as to improve parking. Over the years, funding began to run out, and these objectives could no longer be achieved. At a meeting on April 22, 1957, the inhabitants of Troy decided to incorporate as a village, and on November 23, 1957, a vote was held.
information provided by wikipedia.org