Lindenhurst is a village in Lake County, Illinois, United States. The population was 14,462 at the 2010 census. Lindenhurst lies within Lake Villa Township. The Village of Lindenhurst lies within the Valparaiso moraine from the most recent Ice Age. The area is rich in lakes and swamp land; it was inhabited by the Potawatomi Indian tribe, who mixed agriculture with hunting and fishing. The rich soil ultimately attracted European farmers. An expedition led by Colbee Benton in the 1830s was followed by treaties by which the Potawatomi, the Sauk and the Blackhawk Tribes agreed to leave the area. Most Euro-American settlers came from the east coast, the first recorded being the Pennsylvanian Noer Potter. There were also a number of early Scottish, German and English arrivals.
Incorporation papers for Lindenhurst were filed in November 1956 with Lake County Judge Minard Hulse. The first village officials were elected in a December 1956 election, with 90% voter turnout. The village was incorporated on January 16, 1957.The first village president was Lee R. Lewis, and meetings were held on Saturdays to accommodate the commuting members of the board and community. The first meeting was held in the home of trustee Helen Skelton. Another election – mandated by law – was held in April 1957, and Robert Randall was elected the new president. The board held fundraisers like dances to purchase such things as stationery and record books. After his first year in office, President Randall reflected on the successes:
information provided by wikipedia.org