Jerseyville is a city in Jersey County, Illinois, United States. As of the 2010 U.S. census, the city had a total population of 8,465. It is the county seat of Jersey County, and is the largest city in the county. Jerseyville is a part of Southern Illinois, the Metro-East region and the St. Louis Metropolitan Statistical Area. Jerseyville is located at 39°7′15″N 90°19′39″W (39.120789, -90.327545).According to the 2010 census, Jerseyville has a total area of 5.08 square miles (13.16 km2), all land.
In 1827, James Faulkner, a Pennsylvania native, and his family built a small framed structure that was named the “Little Red House,” in the area that is now known as Jerseyville. The “Little Red House” served as the first stagecoach station, first tavern, first school, and first bank in the immediate area. By 1834, the small settlement that grew up around Faulkner’s home, then known as Hickory Grove by its residents, was surveyed and platted by two immigrants from New Jersey, John Lott and Edward M. Daly. Lott and Daly’s involvement marked the beginning of a proportionally large number of merchants, businessmen and settlers from New Jersey. A meeting was called in that same year at the “Little Red House” to vote for a town name, so a post office could be established. The name of Jerseyville was chosen to honor the native state of many of its inhabitants.
information provided by wikipedia.org