Bloomingdale is a village in DuPage County, Illinois, United States, approximately 25 miles west of Chicago. The population was 22,018 at the 2010 census. Bloomingdale is one of the earliest villages settled in what is now DuPage County. The Meacham family settled here in 1833, and by the end of the following year, 12 to 15 families had settled in the locality. It was originally named Meacham’s Grove. The community was served by the Chicago-Galena Highway, modern day Lake Street. It became an important stop for stage coaches and westward travelers. Originally a Cook County settlement, it was annexed by DuPage County in 1839. The northern part of the village wanted to develop commercially while the southern part wished to remain a farming community.
In 1923, the village split to accommodate this—the northern portion of the town was incorporated as Roselle. From 1950 to 1980, the population increased from 338 to 12,659. Stratford Square Mall, located at Springfield Road and Schick Road, is the largest of Bloomingdale’s shopping centers. The indoor, landscaped mall contains three major department stores and more than 150 specialty shops and restaurants with three vacant anchors, one of which will become a supermarket. Also, Old Town Bloomingdale, at the intersection of Lake Street and Bloomingdale Road, is a collection of small businesses, restaurants and shops located in restored buildings at the original site of the village’s first settlement.
information provided by wikipedia.org