Victorville is a city located in the Victor Valley of San Bernardino County, California. Its population as of the 2010 census was 115,903.In 1858, Aaron G. Lane came to what is now known as Victorville and founded a way station called “Lane’s Crossing.” For many years it provided shelter and supplies for people making the journey across the desert from the east to San Bernardino. Lane’s Crossing was on the Mojave River on today’s Turner Road, two miles north from where Interstate 15 crosses the river. Captain Lane was a veteran of the Mexican–American War who had suffered from malaria during that war. Originally he migrated west to join the California gold rush, but he learned that he could make a better living selling supplies to the miners.
He settled in Ione, near Sutter’s Mill in northern California, during those years, but he migrated to San Bernardino in 1857. He settled on the Mojave River in 1858, where he established his way station. He later sold out to Texan John Fry Miller, who changed the name of Lane’s Crossing to Pioneer Station. Miller was a rancher and became involved in Mojave Valley politics, setting up the first polling place in the area at his home. That first year, ten citizens cast their votes at Lane’s residence, rather than making the long trip to San Bernardino.Census records show that ten people lived in two residences on the river by 1860. Listed in Dwelling No. 703 were Aaron Lane, William R. Levick, and the Nicholson family, consisting of George and Frances, and their three children aged 9 to 13.
information provided by wikipedia.org